واشنگٽن ڊي سي
|Federal capital city and federal district|
|District of Columbia|
Motto(s): Justitia Omnibus|
(انگريزي ٻولي: Justice for All)
Location in relation to Maryland and Virginia
|Lua error in ماڊيول:Location_map at line 502: Unable to find the specified location map definition: "Module:Location map/data/USA" does not exist.|
|Home Rule Act||1973|
|نالي تي||George Washington|
|• Mayor||Muriel Bowser (D)|
|• D.C. Council|
|• U.S. House||
Eleanor Holmes Norton (D),|
|• Federal capital city and federal district||68.34 اسڪوائر ميل (180 ڪلوميٽراسڪوائر)|
|• زمين||61.05 اسڪوائر ميل (160 ڪلوميٽراسڪوائر)|
|• پاڻي||7.29 اسڪوائر ميل (19 ڪلوميٽراسڪوائر)|
|مٿاهين چوٽي||409 ft (120 ميل)|
|هيٺين سطح||0 ft (اظھاري چُڪَ: غير متوقع < عامل. ميل)|
|آبادي (2018 estimate)|
|• Federal capital city and federal district||702,445|
|• رينڪ||20th, U.S. as of 2018[update]|
|• گھاٽائي||11,367/sq mi (4,400/km2)|
|• ميٽرو||6,216,589 (6th, U.S.)|
|• CSA||9,665,892 (4th, U.S.)|
|ٽائيم زون||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (ڊي ايس ٽي)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|ZIP Codes||20001–20098, 20201–20599|
Script error: No such module "Mapframe".
Washington, D.C., formally the District of Columbia and commonly referred to as Washington or D.C., is the capital of the United States. Founded after the American Revolution as the seat of government of the newly independent country, Washington was named after George Washington, the first president of the United States and a Founding Father. As the seat of the United States federal government and several international organizations, Washington is an important world political capital. The city is also one of the most visited cities in the world, with more than 20 million tourists annually.
The signing of the Residence Act on July 16, 1790, approved the creation of a capital district located along the Potomac River on the country's East Coast. The U.S. Constitution provided for a federal district under the exclusive jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress, and the District is therefore not a part of any state. The states of Maryland and Virginia each donated land to form the federal district, which included the pre-existing settlements of Georgetown and Alexandria. The City of Washington was founded in 1791 to serve as the new national capital. In 1846, Congress returned the land originally ceded by Virginia; in 1871, it created a single municipal government for the remaining portion of the District.
Washington had an estimated population of 702,455 as of 2018[update], making it the 20th most populous city in the United States. Commuters from the surrounding Maryland and Virginia suburbs raise the city's daytime population to more than one million during the workweek. Washington's metropolitan area, the country's sixth largest, had a 2017 estimated population of 6.2 million residents.
All three branches of the U.S. federal government are centered in the District: Congress (legislative), president (executive), and the U.S. Supreme Court (judicial). Washington is home to many national monuments, and museums, primarily situated on or around the National Mall. The city hosts 177 foreign embassies as well as the headquarters of many international organizations, trade unions, non-profits, lobbying groups, and professional associations, including the World Bank Group, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the Organization of American States, AARP, the National Geographic Society, the Human Rights Campaign, the International Finance Corporation, and the American Red Cross.
A locally elected mayor and a 13‑member council have governed the District since 1973. However, Congress maintains supreme authority over the city and may overturn local laws. D.C. residents elect a non-voting, at-large congressional delegate to the House of Representatives, but the District has no representation in the Senate. The District receives three electoral votes in presidential elections as permitted by the Twenty-third Amendment to the United States Constitution, ratified in 1961.
- "Demonyms for people from the USA". www.geography-site.co.uk. حاصل ڪيل April 12, 2017.
- "Demonym". addis.com. وقت April 13, 2017 تي اصل کان آرڪائيو ٿيل. حاصل ڪيل April 12, 2017.
- حوالي جي چڪ: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- "Introduction: Where Oh Where Should the Capital Be?". WHHA.
- "Washington, D.C. History F.A.Q.". The Historical Society of Washington, D.C. حاصل ڪيل 2018-03-07.
- Broder, David S. "Nation's Capital in Eclipse as Pride and Power Slip Away". The Washington Post. حاصل ڪيل October 18, 2010.
In the days of the Truman Doctrine, the Marshall Plan and the creation of NATO, [Clark Clifford] said, we saved the world, and Washington became the capital of the world.
- "The 10 most-visited cities in the US this year". Insider. حاصل ڪيل March 6, 2018.
- Cooper, Rebecca. "D.C. breaks another domestic tourism record". www.bizjournals.com. Washington Business Journal.
- "Nevada and Idaho Are the Nation's Fastest-Growing States". US Census Bureau. 19 December 2018. https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2018/estimates-national-state.html?CID=CBSM+POP18. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV". U.S. Census Bureau. U.S. Department of Commerce. حاصل ڪيل April 12, 2017.
- "Washington, D.C. metrostatistical2017". U.S. Census Bureau. U.S. Department of Commerce. حاصل ڪيل February 4, 2019.
- https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/reference/GARM/Ch4GARM.pdf States, Counties, and Statistically Equivalent Entities (Chapter 4). Census.gov. Retrieved July 3, 2019.